Join & Support
Join the friends
Support us through the Association of Friends of Tūhura Otago Museum.
In 1926, the Association of Friends of the Otago Museum met for the first time. It was the brainchild of former Otago Museum Director H D Skinner; its first chairman was benefactor Willi Fels.
This group of diverse, yet like-minded people came together with a singular purpose: to support the Museum.
From pursuing potential collection items to securing funding, the Friends still champion the Museum's importance to and in the community. You can join to support your Museum and help plan for its future.
Your membership fee enables us to support the work of our world-class Museum which includes exhibitions, education programmes, research, as well as collecting and caring for our taoka/treasures.
Aims and objectives:
- Collect and acquire, or aid in the collection or acquisition of, and present to the Otago Museum objects and materials suitable for its purpose
- Support, assist and further the general interests of the Otago Museum
- Promote the study of Museum objects and to disseminate the results of such study
- Arrange lectures and talks, and to assist the Otago Museum with programmes and special events
- Promote community interest, awareness, understanding and enjoyment of the Otago Museum
- Foster goodwill between the Otago Museum and the community
- Collect and expend monies for the above purposes
You can purchase a Gift Membership, donate to the Friends or pay for your membership directly into our bank account 03 0903 0379576 00. Please put your name as reference and email us at [email protected] with your contact details. Alternatively, you can purchase a membership in person at the Museum Info Desk or by clicking the ‘Join’ button below. You can claim a tax credit for donations over $5.
Members of the Association of Friends receive a number of benefits, including the following:
Participate in members-only events run by the Friends, including behind-the-scenes tours hosted by Museum staff
- Free access to the warm and welcoming Friends’ Room* (which includes coffee and tea, a library, and internet access)
- 10% discount at the Museum Shop
- 10% discount at the Tūhura Otago Community Trust Science Centre and at the Perpetual Guardian Planetarium
- 20% discount on exclusive hire of the Friends’ Room (meetings, birthday parties)
- Concession prices for special exhibitions
- Invitations to selected exhibition openings
- Volunteer opportunities
- Regular email newsletter
*Friends’ Room may not always be available
Support us through donations or bequests.
Otago Museum is only partially funded. Your donation helps us care for our world-class collection and continue to offer free entry to galleries, exhibitions, and events. The Museum provides free education programmes for thousands of Otago school children, ensures that local scientific research happens right here, and provides a space for the whole community.
Your donation allows us to sustain this. Thank you.
01 0902 0148098 000
Make out to Otago Museum Trust Board
A bequest is a gift of property or money through a will. If you wish to make a bequest to the Museum in your will, please contact:
Ian Griffin, Director
Murray Bayly, Commercial Director
If you have an object or collection that you would like to donate to the Museum, please contact Robert Morris, Director of Collections, Research and Education.
You are entitled to a tax rebate if your donation is over $5. You will receive a tax receipt for your records.
Donations from companies are tax deductible, subject to some conditions.
Your donation can be publicly acknowledged in our Annual Report, or if you’d prefer, it can remain anonymous.
To support the Otago Museum by volunteering, click here.